Excessive heat and unhealthy air warnings are in effect for the Leesburg area for much of this weekend.
An excessive heat warning is in effect Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
A Code Red air quality alert — indicating that air pollution concentrations have reached a level harmful to all populations — has also been issued for Saturday by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
The National Weather Service says temperatures will reach 105 on Saturday. The heat index will reach 110 on Saturday, the service said.
The warnings carry a high risk of heat exhaustion or other heat-related illness for those without air-conditioning or those spending time outdoors for an extended period of time.
Loudoun county offered the following suggestions:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Stay in an air-conditioned room
- Stay out of the sun
- Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear lightweight and loose-fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.
- To reduce risk during outdoor work, the occupational safety and health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned environments. anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
For more tips, visit Loudoun County's website.
Residents can also take advantage of these Loudoun County government facilities on Saturday:
• Carver Center: 200 Willie Palmer Way, Purcellville, 9:00a-6:00p
• Cascades Senior Center: 21060 Whitfield Place, Sterling, 11:30a-2:30p
• Claude Moore Community Center: 46111 Loudoun Park Lane, Sterling,
• Claude Moore Park Visitors Center: 21544 Old Vestal's Gap Rd, Sterling,
• Claude Moore Recreation Center: (Showers available), 46105 Loudoun Park Lane, Sterling, 8:00a-8:00p
• Douglass Community Center: 405 E. Market Street, Leesburg, 8:00a-4:00p
• Dulles South Multipurpose Center: 24950 Riding Center Dr., South Riding, 7:00a-2:00p
• Franklin Park Pool (Showers available): 17501 Franklin Park Dr., Purcellville,
• Loudoun Valley Community Center: 320 W. School Street, Purcellville, 8:00a-4:00p
• Lovettsville Community Pool: (Showers available, if open. Call to confirm opening: 540-822-5284), 57 E. Broadway, Lovettsville, 12noon-6:00p
• Leesburg Senior Center: 102 North Street, N.W., Leesburg, 8:00a-12:30p & 5:30p -8:30p
• Sterling Community Center:120 Enterprise Street, Sterling, 9:00a-5:00p
If you or someone you know begins to experience a heat-related emergency, officials urge you to call 9-1-1 immediately.
Sunday should offer some relief: Though temperatures will hover around 98 witha heat index as high as 104, showers and thunderstorms will likely roll through the area after 2 p.m.