Kaine-Allen Debates: Tentative Schedule Released
The two are vying for a U.S. Senate seat.
Not wasting any time, the campaign for Tim Kaine, the former Virginia governor running for the U.S. Senate, has released a schedule of debates he has accepted in a race against his Republican opponent George Allen.
Allen, the former senator and governor, won Tuesday's GOP primary against three contenders and celebrated his win with his family in Richmond Tuesday night.
The general election is Nov. 6. Political experts agree that Virginia will be a battleground state in both the presidential election and the Senate election.
“The stakes in this election are extremely high and all Virginians deserve an opportunity to hear directly from the candidates on issues of regional, state, and national importance,” said Kaine for Virginia Communications Director Brandi Hoffine, in a release. “Our priority is to participate in enough broadcast debates so that all Virginians get a chance to compare the candidates side-by-side. We look forward to working with George Allen’s campaign to make sure that happens."
The debates are scheduled across the state, including several in the Northern Virginia area in Arlington, McLean and Fredericksburg:
- Radio One 2012 Senatorial Forum: Richmond, Late August (date and venue TBD). Broadcast on Radio One stations (TV broadcast TBD).
- WJLA-TV, POLITICO & Virginia FREE: Arlington Campus, George Mason University. September 14. Broadcast live on WJLA in DC, and available to ABC affiliates throughout Virginia.
- Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce & NBC4: Capital One Tysons Corner Complex, McLean. September 20. Broadcast live on NBC 4 in DC, and rebroadcast on Sunday, September 23.
- Randolph-Macon College, The Richmond Times Dispatch & the Virginia Chamber of Commerce: Randolph-Macon College, Ashland. October Date TBD. Broadcast on media partners WWBT NBC-12 and WCVE Community Ideas Stations in Richmond.
- WSLS-TV and Virginia Tech: Virginia Tech campus, Blacksburg. October date TBD. Broadcast live on WSLS-TV and made available to other television stations statewide.
- Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce: Norfolk, October 18 or 19 (TBD). Broadcast live on WVEC-TV (ABC affiliate) and to be rebroadcast at a later date TBD.
- League of Women Voters of Virginia & AARP Virginia: WCVE Studios, Midlothian. October 8. Broadcast on CBS-6 in Richmond and WCVE-TV (PBS).
- Virginia State Conference NAACP: Fredericksburg, October 26. Broadcast on WWBT NBC-12 in Richmond.