Invite a friend
EXTREME Journey Summer Camp Registration Open!
The Extreme Journey Middle School Camp (both a day and overnight option are available) challenges participants to re-live the past and learn from choices made long ago. Presented with historical situations, participants will be asked to solve problems on their own and study the impact on our contemporary world.
How we accomplish this:
- Your child will explore different historical sites through a variety of physical activities – hiking, biking, canoeing. We provide the equipment for the camp.
Examples of historical sites we may visit include:
Gettysburg Battlefield, Harpers Ferry Historic District, Potomac River, C&O Canal,
Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Antietam National Battlefield
- Your child will capture the images and sounds along the Extreme Journey in order to create a video of the lessons they learn from past leaders. We, along with the partnering school districts, provide the recording equipment and your local schools provide the lab space to put it all together.
- In addition to our staff, a history teacher and a technology teacher from your local school district will join us for the camp to provide assistance and leadership.
- We will bring in historians, re-enactors, rangers and other specialists to enhance the experience for your child.
- Your local school district will provide bus transportation from a designated school in your area to each historical site. We make use of travel time with exercises designed to set the stage for daily activities.
- We limit each session to 24 to 28 campers to allow for plenty of interaction between facilitators and students.
- The camp is designed for middle school students who will be studying American history in more detail events during the coming school years. Public, private and home-schooled students are eligible.
- Each day is structured to allow your child the opportunity to learn, to exercise and, most of all, to have fun!
- We will provide snacks and water to everyone during the day. Meal arrangements will vary by county and by site visited. For any day with a late return time, we will provide an appropriate dinner for your child.
|Where||Smarts Mill Middle School 850 N King St, Leesburg, VA 20176|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Price||Loudoun Camp- $650. -- scholarships available|
More About Smarts Mill Middle School
Smarts Mill is located to the north of Leesburg. It offers opportunities for resident to rent parts of the building for events.
Smarts Mill is a fully accredited school in the Loudoun County school district. Five Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) middle schools have been named as being among the best in Virginia by the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY).
Smart's Mill enrolls students of many nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. About 70 percent of the students are white, 10 percent are African American, 13 percent Hispanic and 5 percent Asian.