Watch has been called in Loudoun County until 5 p.m., county officials are
urging residents to be ready to take action in the event of severe weather.
A tornado watch means that weather conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes.
Here’s what you should do, according to Loudoun officials:
- Monitor information from the National Weather Service. If the tornado watch is escalated to a tornado warning, be prepared to take cover.
- The general rule for tornado safety is “go low and get low,” meaning go to the lowest level of the structure away from windows and crouch in a low position with your head covered.
- If you cannot move to a lower floor, go to an interior hallway away from windows.
- If you are caught outside when a tornado strikes, try to find shelter immediately in the nearest substantial building. If buildings are not close, take cover by lying down flat in a ditch or depression. Never attempt to seek shelter under an overpass.
- If you are in your vehicle, get out of the vehicle and seek shelter in a sturdy building. If shelter is not immediately available, lay flat in a ditch or depression and protect yourself from flying debris.
For more information about preparing for tornados visit www.loudoun.gov/tornado.
Stay informed by: