With the holidays comes holiday traveling and Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority has tips for customers traveling through Dulles International and Reagan National airports.
“We advise our customers to plan ahead and arrive early during peak times this holiday season,” said Jack Potter, MWAA President and CEO in a press release. “We are committed to providing an excellent, welcoming experience to all travelers who come to our airports — especially at this time of the year.”
This year the Transportation Security Administration introduced TSAPre✓, a dedicated security checkpoint for passengers who are approved for expedited screening. Approved passengers don't have to remove their shoes, belts, laptops or 3-1-1 compliant bags from their luggage. Visit the Transportation Security Administration’s website to learn more about the program.
So what else is new that might help your airport experience?
• Dulles Airport has real-time security checkpoint wait times available online here: http://www.mwaa.com/dulles/4793.htm.
• Parking equipment has been updated at Reagan National to include space count indicators upon entering garages.
• Supreme Airport Shuttle, a new shared van service, now operates in addition to SuperShuttle.
• Each airport has four electric vehicle charging stations, accommodating up to eight cars.
MWAA has additional tips to help travelers get through the holidays easier as well:
• Travelers should confirm the status of their flights directly with the airline before coming to the airport.
• Boarding passes should be printed out in advance, or electronic boarding passes should be used.
• All adults should bring a government-issued photo ID to the airport.
• Pack wisely — don't bring prohibited items in carry-on luggage and don't pack valuables in checked luggage. Label your luggage so your name is visible.
• Economy parking tends to fill during holiday periods at Reagan National. Check parking availability online at www.mwaa.com/reagan or call 703-417-PARK.
• MWAA offers printable one-page travel tips for those not familiar with the airports. They're available at the Dulles International or Reagan National webpages.
• Travelers can follow tweets about both airports at twitter.com/dcairports.
Traveling over the holidays? Stay up to date by subscribing to Leesburg Patch's free daily newsletter.