Leesburg residents Christena Rose Martyn Fulcher and her daughter, Carolyn Lineberry, will get their 20-year wish this Sunday when Bear's School Road will be formally renamed as Carter's School Road.
Fulcher attended the one-room schoolhouse from 1930 until 1937 and was determined to see the road receive its historically correct name. While there was a Bear’s School, it was relocated several miles north.
The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to adopt the resolution back on Sept. 18.
Leesburg District Supervisor Ken Reid and Dulles District Supervisor Matt Letourneau, who coauthored the resolution to rename the road, are scheduled to officiate with both women during the ceremony, which will be held at the intersection of Carters School Road (Rt. 857) and Old Ox Road (Rt. 606) beginning at 11 a.m.
For more information contact the Leesburg District Office at 571-258-3345.