The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is in full swing in Loudoun County providing free tax services to families earning less than $50,700 per year. The program provides one-on-one assistance to customers on a walk-in basis and will be available through April 17 at four sites in Loudoun County.
This is an opportunity for individuals and families to save an average of $200 in tax preparation fees by going to one of the free tax preparation sites. In addition to saving fees, they will be working with certified IRS volunteers who will make sure that families receive the maximum tax refund to which they are entitled and help determine if they are eligible for the earned income tax credit (EITC) or other tax credit programs.
People seeking tax preparation assistance are asked to bring the following items with them. Note: If married and filing a joint return, both spouses must be present. All returns are filed electronically:
* Photo ID for taxpayer (and spouse if filing jointly)
* Social Security cards or ITIN letters and birth dates for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
* Wage and earnings statements: W-2, W-2G, and all Form 1099s received
* Unemployment compensation, Form 1099G
* Interest and dividend statements
* Child care expenses paid in 2011 and the child care provider’s name, address and federal ID number
* Record of tuition, purchase of books and/or student loan payments, Form 1098-E
* A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns (if available)
* A check or deposit slip if you want direct deposit
* Record of any sales tax paid on new vehicles purchased in 2011
* Record of any real estate taxes and mortgage interest payments made in 2011
* Record of any Economic Recovery Payment received from Social Security Administration (SSA), the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) or Veterans Administration
The following VITA sites in Loudoun County will be providing free income tax assistance:
Workforce Resource Center: Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 noon through April 17. The Workforce Resource Center is located in the Shenandoah Building at 102 Heritage Way, N.E., on the first floor (enter at the back of the building) in Leesburg. Wages are limited to $50,700 and under. No appointments needed.
: Monday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through April 13. The library is located at 380 Old Waterford Road in Leesburg. Wages are limited to $50,700 and under. No appointments needed.
In addition, AARP offers free tax preparation at the following locations:
Cascades Library: Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Wednesday from 5 to 8 p.m. through April 17. No appointments needed. Service is available to all wage earners or retirees and there is no income eligibility. Cascades Library is located at 21030 Whitfield Place in Sterling.
Falcons Landing: Monday, Thursday and Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. through April 14. Appointments are needed. Call 703-404-5216. Falcons Landing is located at the corner of Algonkian Parkway & Potomac View Road in Sterling. Service is available to all wage earners or retirees and there is not any income eligibility.
Additional sites in Northern Virginia are listed at: www.nvacash.org. For additional information, contact Karen Velez at 703-771-5718 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.