Severance is charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon; his case was the only one on the docket. The charge date is March 10, Williamson said.
Attorney Edward Ungvarsky, who is with the Northern Virginia Capital Defenders Office in Arlington, represented Severance, Williamson said. "He was not appointed," she said. Ungvarsky defends people who are charged with capital crimes.
Ungvarsky entered an appearance Tuesday on Severance’s behalf over prosecutors’ objection.
Commonwealth’s Attorney Jim Plowman said it is a waste of taxpayer money for a public capital defender to work on behalf of a defendant charged with a routine felony related to illegal firearms possession, according to WUSA-9.
“I think taxpayers would be upset that we’re paying him to do one job, and he’s doing something else,” Plowman said afterward. Plowman said he was not sure if he would file a motion seeking Ungvarsky’s dismissal.
For the Wednesday, June 18 appearance, Severance will actually be in the courtroom, at 1 p.m., Williamson said.
Severance was brought to the Adult Detention Center in Leesburg on Monday after being picked up by officers from the U.S. Marshals Service. The Loudoun County adult detention center is located near the Leesburg airport.
He was detained in West Virginia on the Loudoun weapons charge, after his arrest in March in Wheeling.
Loudoun County officials on Tuesday morning released this booking photo of Severance, 53.
Alexandria officials are interested in talking to Severance in connection with three high-profile homicides; the homicides include Ruthanne Lodato, a local music teacher killed in a fatal shooting at her home on Feb. 6.
- Alexandria Resident Ruthanne Lodato Killed in Shooting Thursday
- Shooting Victim Ruthanne Lodato was Mother of 3, Music Teacher
- Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief, Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community
- Alexandria Police Release Sketch of Suspected Shooter in Lodato Murder
- Police Restrict Access to Streets Around Shooting
- Ruthanne Lodato Funeral: Hundreds Gather to Say Goodbye
- Police to Hold News Conference on Lodato Homicide Investigation
- VIDEO: Alexandria Police Chief Doesn't Rule Out Serial Killer
- What Ties Lodato Homicide to Other Victims?
- Prosecutor: Man Wanted for Questioning in Alexandria Slayings 'A Danger'; 2 Guns Missing
- Public Defender Says Charles Severance Being Held on 'Sham' Charges
- Gov. McAuliffe Signs Extradition Order for 'Person of Interest' in Alexandria Killings
- Prosecutor: Charles Severance Served With Extradition Warrant
- Charles Severance's Attorney Asks to Delay Extradition Hearing to April 24
- FBI, Police Search Water for Evidence in Connection with Three Alexandria Homicides
- Woman Reportedly Purchased Guns for Severance; Public Defender, Again, Asks for His Release Under 'Sham' Charges
- Charles Severance, 'Person of Interest' in Alexandria Shootings, Due in Court
- Judge: Severance Must Return to Virginia
- Charles Severance Set to Be Extradited to Virginia
- Charles Severance Transported Monday to Loudoun County Adult Detention Center